Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Happy Parts of a Hurricane

As a child of CA, especially one in college during the 1990's where many of us had a deep philosophical connection to the zen-like Patrick Swayze in Point Break, I knew that hurricanes produced amazing waves; excellent surfing conditions (though dangerous). Seeing as I was a Valley Girl, not a surfer, I didn't really grasp what that meant. Until to today.

Today was the first annual beach festival in Newport, RI. It was at Easton beach, a small spit of land between the ocean and Easton pond. The festival featured free slides on the water slide and reduced cost bumper boats along with great food (that we missed because Monster was ready to leave before the food was ready to be bought, oh well, next year) and of course, the beach. Because of Hurricane Bill, there was no swimming allowed on the beach. The waves were not only huge, but very strong with a powerful undertow. I don't think I've ever seen waves as high nor an ocean as turbulent as that. I realize that many others have seen the seas in even more dramatic conditions, but this was MY first.

We decided to look around a bit before playing in the ocean. Since there was no swimming, we didn't think we would get very wet and wanted to see what else there was. Walking around, we stopped by the nice playground, the blow up water slide (just an inflatable slide about 18' in the air with flowing water, the slide didn't end in any pool) and the bumper boats ( a handful of blow up boats with small motors in a pool about 25' across and about 2 feet deep). Monster was curious about both of these. First, he watched some kids go down the slide and then wanted to go on the boats. Ok, he didn't actually want to go on the boats, he wanted to go swimming in the "pool". The awesome ride operator let us see if Monster would get on before we bought a ticket (rather than waste the money). As expected, Monster wouldn't get on the boat.

He also wanted to go on the water slide. It was so steep, I didn't think he would, but the wonderful ride operator let Mr. walk Monster up the ladder to see if he would try it and kept the other kids off when Monster and Mr climbed back down the ladder. Even though Monster didn't go down, I was impressed that he would go up and try. If it was a little less steep, I bet he would have even gone down!

After try something new (and failing, in his eyes), he wanted to go into the water. Mr and I didn't change into our suits, thinking we wouldn't go in that deep (we were idiots), but made Monster change. At first Monster would hold up his trunks, like a skirt, so it wouldn't get wet. He was fairly timid, considering he and Mr had gone to the beach several times with much success. It is so funny how he will do anything to avoid getting wait and then throwing himself completely into the water when he finally does get wet! We hung out in the water for a while (with me finally getting my swimsuit on and Mr. giving up and swimming in his shorts ;)) before Monster decided he wanted to try something new again. It was as if he had been thinking about things and finally came to a decision, but he suddenly took off toward the bumper boats.

Mr and I eventually caught up to him and he indicated he wanted to go on the ride. I got down and made him look into my eyes and asked him if he wanted to go into the water or the boat and he said "Water", so I assumed he wanted to go swimming in the "pool". He was quite insistent, and after a while he did say he wanted in the boat (when presented between the boat and water), so Mr went to get tickets while Monster and I got in line. There were several kids ahead of us, and Monster was quite patient. Every time I asked "Boat or water" he would answer boat, so we stayed in line. Finally it was our turn. Monster climbed the metal steps and got to the edge. the very nice ride operator held the inflated boat steady and, shock of shocks, Monster tentatively stepped onto the boat. He gingerly climbed in, and after some help, sat down and was off. He didn't seem too keen on actually steering the thing, but he stayed seated for the duration of the ride and got off without any meltdowns, tantrums or problems. I was so very, very proud of him! The entire experience couldn't have been easy and he did great.

But damn, what a time to be without the camera! We had it but I had put it in the car when i put my suit on since I didn't want to get it wet.

Soon after the boats, we packed up and went home. Monster has a problem with wet clothes, and did have a bit of a meltdown when I wouldn't change out of my suit fast enough for him. All-in-all, though, it was a really fun day. I'm so proud of the little guy. I know the entire move has been tough on him, but he's been a real trooper about everything. Part of me wonders the move made him feel so powerless that he decided (consciously or not) to become more assertive and forceful about getting his own way, along with being a bit more fearful-wanting to control everything around him, even Mr and I.

Anyway, here are some pictures of Monster enjoying the surf:






You can see how rough the surf is from some of the pictures. The amazing part is the photo of Monster sitting in the water with the tide rushing out. You can see how fast the water is rushing around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment