Thursday, August 6, 2009

The move is finally over (sort of)

Whew.

We finally got internet access yesterday so I finally get to re-connect with the rest of the world. We are mostly moved in, but still have a few boxes to clear out and some things to organize. I wonder if I'll get everything unpacked this time. When I was packing up the last place to move here, I found several boxes that I hadn't gotten around to unpacking-two boxes of clothes, several boxes of knick-knacks and 1 box of just candles.

Anyway, it's done, the move that is. I start the new job on Monday but until then, I'm just trying to acclimate myself to life here on the island. It is quite different from anywhere else I've lived. Everything closes by about 9:00 or so and there are few take out options. Both Mr and I are looking forward to more home cooked meals and quiet time together.

So, the burning question on the minds of my imaginary blog readers-how did Monster deal with the move. In many ways he has exceeded our expectations-asserting himself in many ways and communicating his wants and needs with language. In other ways, he has had a very difficult time.

The moving van showed up two weeks ago today. That morning, Monster had a speech therapy appointment-his last one for a while. His sleep habits had gotten a bit weird before we moved. I imagine it was related to the packing, Mom being home and the different schedule at school. That last day, he had a difficult time in speech. He couldn't settle down and was biting his hand more than usual. His therapist, as wonderful as she is, couldn't get him to settle down much. It's tough that his last therapy appointment was so rough. The whole day he was off. He didn't want to go to the playground. I tried to prepare him for when we got home-that the place would be empty. When we finally got home that day, he ran around a bit, going from room to room while I finished the last of the packing. It's hard to explain but I could almost feel his anxiety increasing bit by bit.

We left that night-made it all the way to Bakersfield before we stopped for the night. Monster fell asleep for a bit while on the road, but he didn't sleep long. Finally, we found a room and all of us got a decent night's sleep before continuing on to my folk's place. Up until now, Monster was doing ok knowing he was going to Nonny and Poppy's house. He likes it there; they spoil him ;)

Mr spent a day or so with us before taking off with the mutt and driving across country. Monster and I hung out with my parents, which was fun. Monster got to go swimming everyday and we even got a library card (FYI, Las Vegas gives library cards to non-residents) so he could check out DVDs everyday. We went bowling one time and he would put his fingers in the holes and carry the ball up (I'll try to upload some video when I find the right cables).

All in all, the week went by very fast and fairly easily. Monster went to bed with little problems; we worked on his writing, reading and math each day. I was a bit concerned about the airport, but not the flight.

Silly me.

I pretty much did everything wrong the day we left Las Vegas. When the car came to pick us up, I put Monster's iPod and gum in the trunk. He started crying in the car. He wanted to go back to Nonny and Poppy's house. He was great in the airport, at first. He went through the security line with little incident. He listened pretty well to me and followed directions with respect to taking off his shoes and walking through the metal detector. I found a place that I could plug in his DVD player and thought things were going smoothly.

But we were in the airport a bit too long. The noises and lights of the slot machines, the crowds of people; it was like a ball gathering momentum when going down hill. He started getting overloaded, which upped the anxiety, which overloaded him, so on and so forth. He ran off once, and a very nice lady snagged him while I ran after him. He was adamant at this point that he "wanted to go home". I couldn't get him to calm down too much and he tried two more break aways. Finally it was our turn to board, and he decided to have a massive melt down. He was screaming and crying "Won't go" he screamed over and over. He pinched me, hit me, broke away running out of the gang way-all in front of the people waiting to board the plane. A very nice lady rolled my carry on stuff for me and another nice flight attendant put our stuff in an overhead bin while I struggled with the Monster.

I took him to the very last seats on the plane. The entire time, he was trying to grab a hold of the seats while I literally dragged him up the aisle. I have never been so mortified, or terrified. When we got to the last row, he wouldn't sit down and held himself rigid, still screaming and crying. I was just finally getting him to settle a bit down, when I buckled him into his seat and he started up all over again. "Seatbelt off" "won't go" his language was doing pretty good at the moment; there was no doubt what he wanted (or rather what he didn't want). The pilot came back to talk to us. He tried to talk to Monster. Started out asking Monster's name (funny story below about this) and when I told him he tried talking to Monster (who didn't want to talk to a stranger). I explained that Monster had Autism and that he would calm down when we go into the air and I could turn his DVD player. THe pilot told me to go ahead and give it to him, which I did, and Monster did calm down. The pilot came back in a while and I could tell he was preparing to ask us to leave if Monster had not calmed down. The only thought going through my head was that if Monster got off that plane, he would never EVER get back on another plane, which would have made moving fairly difficult since I didn't have a car and Mr. was already in Rhode Island.

Monster did great, given how the flight started. I kept up a constant stream of words, telling him we were going to go see Daddy and we had to fly there to see Daddy. He kept crying for Daddy and I kept telling him we were going to see Daddy. Poor baby eventually cried himself to sleep after take off. It was ironic, between a poor night's sleep, swimming that morning and the energy it took to fight and cry for so long, Monster may have slept through the entire flight had the flight attendant not made an announcement that we could turn on our electronic devices. At this point, Monster woke up. However, he was much calmer. We took out his DVD player and he watched his DVDs the rest of the flight, while being fascinated with the sights outside the plane. He was just getting restless again when we landed. I was so fortunate to have had a direct flight. I wonder if I could have gotten Monster back on another plane had we needed to make a connection. I'm glad I didn't have to find out!

As I got up from our seats, my back started to spasm. I was sitting in an awkward position, not to mention extremely stressed and tense, for a long time. Having sever back pain, made moving difficult, but at least we were here.

Well, it's late and we have another big day tomorrow. I'll write more about the new house and his adapting to the island.


Edited to add:

One thing Monster's therapist had been working on was him knowing and saying his name as well as his age, my name and Mr's name. So when the pilot asked his name, and I re-asked him "What's your name?" He said it, all the while hiccupping and crying, but he said it. First and last name. I know he only did so because he was motivated by thinking I would let himeout of the plane if he did what I asked, but still, he did it. Later on (a few days later, as I'll talk about in another blog) a little boy asked him his age, and with some prompting, he answered 6 years old. So if his ST from Mill's is reading-he did it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment