Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Conversations, Part 2

I know I should blog about Christmas, but I just don’t have it in me. Christmas is, personally, a very challenging and depressing time for me. It is that time of the year that I feel Zach’s challenges and differentness most acutely and grieve for the childhood we will never experience together.

Instead, I would love to share some of the recent conversations he and I have had. Our conversations are unique. He doesn’t volunteer opinions. In fact, he doesn’t really answer open ended questions very well yet, so I ask him yes/no questions and he answers. I have to try very hard to keep my voice neutral and not indicate to him how I wish he would answer, but all-in-all, it’s a blast. I’ve learned so much from our little Q &A sessions. Some of it is sad, some precious, some outright hilarious.

Last night, I was asking him if he liked mommy and daddy and diego (the dog). Apparently he does (whew!). He was also sad that it was bedtime, but not scared of the dark. He likes it when I sing Scar’s parts (from Lion King), but gets’ very upset if I sing Simba’s part. Oh well.

One night while watching Snow White, he said that Snow White was nice and pretty. Mommy was nice and pretty. Zachery was nice and pretty (or rather handsome) but Daddy was not nice and not pretty. Apparently, Mr. and Monster went a few rounds and Mr. wouldn’t let him something. One night he was scared of me (after we fought the night before) and very recently I was kicked out of the room (he wanted mommy to go away, not stay).

I try to talk to him every night-ask him what happened during the day (Did you do X or Y?) what he likes, what he fears. One night he was afraid of the dark and the next night he wanted the light off. What a contrary little man he can be!
I’ll try to add some video and pictures from Christmas. Monster got a remote controlled helicopter that Mr and I enjoy a lot. Zach loves to watch it fly around and thinks it is hilarious when we can’t control it!

No comments:

Post a Comment