Sunday, May 16, 2010

The $15, no-sew weighted lap blanket

Monster uses a weighted blanket at school. I've been toying with the idea of using one at home as well. The biggest stumbling block was the cost vs. his potential use. I don't mind spending what I have to get something that will help Monster and he'll use. We dropped a huge chunk of change on a loft bed with a slide that he loved to play on (even if he didn't actually sleep in it). The slide is now outside on his swing set and he is actually sleeping in the bed (part time anyway).

I looked up how to make one, and didn't see anything that I could do without sewing. I don't have a sewing machine and have only the most rudimentary sewing skills anyway (I can hem up something or patch a seam, but I'm not a seamstress). After a few stops and starts and alterations, I was able to make a 6lb lap blanket yesterday and Monster crawled under it during bedtime. I have no idea if it was the blanket or the super long bath, but he fell asleep quite nicely (for a change).

From my reading, the weight should be about 10% plus 1 pound. Monster is just under 60 lbs (he lost a smidge of weight), so I went with a 6 lb blanket.

I found all of the components at Ocean State Job Lot (similar to Big Lots) for just under $15.00. Most people suggest that you fill weighted blankets with poly pellets because they are washable. I chose to make the weighted inserts removable so the cover can be washed without the weight in them. If you substitute Poly Pellets, the cost will double or triple. You can also substitute aquarium rocks-which should be machine washable.

What you need:

Queen sized pillow covers (the kind with the zipper)
3 pairs of socks
6lbs of rice
stitch witch (a no-sew bonding material, you can find it at Walmart or any fabric store)
An iron
damp cloth (for the stitch witch)
smooth surface like an ironing board
some sort of scale (although 1 lb of rice is just over 2 cups)
Tape measure
pins

Fill each sock with 1 lb of rice. Each sock was sealed with stitch witch. Cut the stitch witch to fit the opening of the sock and follow the directions on its packaging.

Using the queen sized pillow, I found that placing the stitch witch at about 4 3/4" intervals evenly distributed the socks along the length of the pillow. You can place the socks in the pillow case first-they should lay (or is it lie?) across the width of the pillow-to find what you think is the best placement. Basically, we are going to make channels in the pillow case to hold the socks in place.

I would mark the location for the stitch witch with pins, insert the stitch witch between the two sides of the pillow case and iron it in place. The stitch witch was only about 3/4 the width of the pillow case so that I could still maneuver the weighted sock into the channel (and back out again as needed). Repeat 5 times so that you end up with 6 channels.

Insert the weighted sock into each channel and zip the case closed.

If you wish, you can also use a standard queen size pillow case to use as a cover.

The whole thing took me about an hour or so.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for this! I'm a visual learner, do you have photos by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire what you have done here. I love the part where you say you are doing this to give back but I would assume by all the comments that is working for you as well. Do you have any more info on this?
    queen sheets

    ReplyDelete