Tuesday, May 11, 2010

To Retain or not to Retain

We had our second IEP for Monster today. It was kind of funny how we found out about it. I had emailed the Special Ed director for something else (and event) and she casually mentioned "see you this afternoon", to which I replied "for what?". Apparently there was an oops somewhere and we never got our notice. No big deal (at least not here). My boss is very flexible so I took a half day (not a hardship since I'm currently battling the spring cold).

I was once again struck by how different our IEPs are. Mr and I both feel like we are actually a part of a team. When the school recommends something, there is such a feeling of trust on our side-something that we never really had before. Partially because they have suggested things that we were trying to fight for previously.

Ok, back to today's IEP. It started out with the special ed director bringing up what is, generally, speaking, a very touchy subject. She wanted us to think about holding Monster back-having him repeat first grade. Mr and I had discussed holding him back and having him repeat kindergarten-so he could mature a bit more socially.

This is the same reason they want to hold him back-to allow him to mature a bit more socially. They made a very good argument. First off, his play skills have been emerging. Apparently in his speech and OT he is playing with different toys and interacting with people. Second, since he has been through first grade already, he would be more comfortable and be able to participate in the class more fully. They are also concerned that second grade has a lot less play involved and it may be even more overwhelming for him. The way I interpreted it is that holding him back will allow him to develop his social skills more and give him more confidence for when things get harder in second grade.

No decisions were made today. We need to think about everything and there is a lot to think about.

I have to admit that I'm feeling very resentful, for want of a better word, toward our old school. A big reason Monster is doing so well right now is because he has good peer models. One of his biggest motivations is seeing other kids doing things. Even though Mr did an awesome job of getting Monster out and about, he wasn't exposed to the same kids and the same routine on a consistent basis. He had no typical peer community to emulate and observe. I often wonder how much farther along he could be if he did have that when he was younger. That sort of thinking, however, doesn't get anyone anywhere and I really need to just let it go.

Looks like Mr and I have a lot of discussions and thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment