Monday, June 22, 2009

Back to school, for now

Monster started ESY (extended school year) today. He missed most of the last week of school because of a foolish parental error. Commencement was on a Wednesday, which we skipped because Monster doesn't generally do well at them and he was having sleeping issues that week. We assumed that commencement was the last day of the school year, so we didn't bother to go back to school either Thursday or Friday.

On Friday, the school nurse called to ask if Monster was still sick. Um, yeah, sure.

Oops.

So Monster has had a week and a half off from school, a decent break for him. In that time he has been to six flags about 3 times, and a ton of what always sounded like a lot of fun to me in between Speech and occupational therapy. I know last Wednesday they took in a Giants game (too bad the giants lost) coupled with a bart and muni-metro ride.

Anyway, today, back to school (cue the snapping of a whip). Monster was one happy little guy. Most kids would moan and groan, but Monster didn't even whine all that much when I told him he couldn't bring his bag of DVDs. I was worried; at the end of last term he wasn't that happy about going. Today, he seemed eager to go and had a great day. Mr told me that Monster was a regular chatter monkey. By the time I got home, however, he was quite tired.

His sleeping hasn't been that great. Ever since we went gluten free, he has been waking up in the middle of the night for a while. He generally won't settle down until both Mr and I are in bed with him. Cute, but cramped (at least it is when the dog joins us). Other than this sleep thing, a few days of increased hunger (as he chose not to eat some things) and some increased crankiness (which seems to be abating), taking the gluten out this time hasn't been as difficult as the first time.

So for now, things are going ok. I know in the next few weeks things are going to get pretty crazy. I don't have an exact date yet, but this job ends a week from Thursday and I definitely need to start work by August 1st so we have continual health insurance (not to mention our rainy day fund is quite dry). So I'm hoping to get everything packed up and on the road the first week of July. Currently, we are waiting for the relocation people to help us set things up, so who knows how fast any of this can be done. I'm completely overwhelmed with the idea that we are going to have to pack everything again and move it across the country. On the other hand, we have a great opportunity to really take a critical eye to the mounds of crap we have and only take that which we really need. I know that I won't actually being doing most of packing (thank the gods), but I will have to do most of the cleaning on this place, which is also a scary prospect. A hyperactive child and dog in close quarters with too much crap does not lend itself to a spotless house, and I'm not a great housekeeper to begin with!

For no good reason, I thought I would include a Monster and I in a very, uber brief duet of Hakuna Matata, one of Monster's favorite songs. I keep trying to get him on tape, but he is being uncharacteristically shy about singing for the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment