Monday, June 1, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Scary

I went on another interview last week, this time across the country. While on the plane, I decided to not bring fluffy, relaxing reading but rather Jepson's book "Changing the Course of Autism". From what I can tell, this book really details all of the studies that have been done regarding treating autism not just as a neurological condition, but as a disease that can result (or cause?) issues with the gastrointestinal, immune and neurological systems. To my laywoman's eyes, it appeared to be rather comprehensive (Dr. Jepson has a child on the spectrum) review, but ("Dammit Jim, I'm a metallurgist, not a biochemist", as Bones would say)I got very little of what he said.

To put it as succinctly as I can, some types of autism either is the result or cause of metabolic issues that result not just in what we view as autism (social issues, lack of eye contact, sensory processing problems) but also in tummy problems, immune system deficiencies and poor nutrition. I agree with this idea, which is why we've started Monster on supplements and dietary changes, I just wish I understood it more. I feel like I'm back in school again (heck, I was taking notes while reading the book). It did impress upon me the importance of some of the things we are doing and is a good guide for what we can and cannot do on our own (without a DAN! Doctor).

Onto the this blog's title...

THE GOOD

My being out of town is always tough on Monster. He misses me, which throws off his schedule somewhat, followed by being pretty upset with me for leaving. This time wasn't really any different, but the impact was much milder than I've seen in the past. And this time he was also battling an ear infection.

Mr. and Monster went to 6 flags on Saturday. Mr stated that Monster did very well, and even rode some of the child rides. On Sunday, we decided to go back again (we have season passes) since the weather was so nice. In the past, going to 6 Flags was a reminder to me of what I didn't have. A child who would/could ride things that I always dreamed of riding with my child. A child who was prone to attacking other children when he felt threatened or crowded (a guarantee at these places).

But not this time. Because Mr. and Monster rode some rides on Saturday, I decided to find out what accommodations 6 Flags made for special needs kids. To my utter delight, they give you a pass that allows you to enter through the exit, thereby reducing one's wait (and the likelihood of a meltdown)--just go to the guess services inside the park and tell them you have a child with autism, you can also bring in food if he/she is on a special diet, just tell the security folks at the gate.

Since Monster rarely actually goes on rides his first time seeing them upclose, this was a great way for him to get comfortable with the rides.

He had a blast riding the go carts (see below) the train, the spinning balloons (which got me a bit sick) among other things. He even rode a small roller coaster.

THE BAD

Success always has its price with our kids. The price we paid on Sunday was Monster's latest trick, holding his breath, followed by a screaming fit. Poor baby was so very tired. The breath holding bit is terrifying. He use to have sleep apnea and memories nights staring blindly at the ceiling counting his breaths are still vivid.

Mr. let Monster use his portable DVD player a bit too much while I was gone (a necessary tool so Mr. could get some time to do other things). His DVD player is like an addiction we have to break all over again whenever we try to reduce how much he uses it. Currently, Monster must have at least one bag of DVDs (about 10-15) with him at all times. He can't play them in the car (usually he isn't allowed his dvd player in the car), but he likes to organize them and read the back covers.

THE SCARY

We gave him his bath, and forced a hair washing (the only way his hair gets cleaned anymore). Mr. said he did ok by the end of his bath. However, tonight when we mentioned bathtime, Monster's face got red (as it does when he has dairy or is over heated), he started crying hysterically. To try and calm him down, I got into his bath and asked him to join me. Oy, you would have thought I was sitting in a vat of acid and was trying to push him under. He was hysterical. On the plus side, his language was doing very well. I clearly heard him tell me to get out of the bathtub and put my shirt on. So now he is not only afraid of baths/showers, but he is scared for us to bathe/shower. I'm not sure where this came from, or how to break him of it. Epson salts are very important for both the relaxing for bedtime but also for the transdermal absorption of sulfate to help detox and correct sulfate deficiencies.

All in all, though, his brief regression into his own head seems to be over. As I wrote in the blog, it does serve as a great reminder to how far he's come.



.

1 comment:

  1. intersting about the tummy problems, but I can see how that makes sense. I guess around the time Nate was seen for "issues" we found out months later he had a hernia. That makes a lot of sense now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete