Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bad Night-My fault? School?

Bedtime last night was horrible. It started out ok. I got home and he was talking to the computer. I worked in the garage, going through old toys and clothes-what gets donated, what gets tossed. He went downstairs without a problem. Was a bit hyper during Thomas, but not in a bad mood.

Then bedtime.

Oy.

He kept asking to go upstairs, screaming when I reminded him that it was bedtime. I could tell he was exhausted, poor baby. Mondays are especially tough on him and Sunday night, we left him to sleep in his own room, in his own bed. He woke up about midnight and seemed to be chatting to himself happily. We moved him back to our room and finished out the night, not too bad. When I dropped him off at school, he didn't want to go initially, but when we got to the classroom, he said he wanted to stay. One of the behaviorists, who had worked with him a lot in ABA, was one of the classroom aides, along with the two other aides (one of which I knew, but the other I did not, which doesn't mean much, I only drop him off on Mondays). The day seemed to go well. He had OT, a change it's usually on Thursday, and one moving company came by to estimate the upcoming move-another change. Mr. said Monster didn't want to go to the beach to play airplanes, which is odd.

All-in-all, not that out of the ordinary.

But bedtime, yikes! Mr and I both had to hold him down to keep him from either biting his own hands, or us. We both got pinched several times, I got it on the underside of my arm (ouch!). Monster was manaical. He was alternating trying to play and laugh with a screaming mimi fit. Song didn't do it, speaking calmly didn't do it, in fact that seemed to set him off more. Finally, I had him in a body hug and told him Goldilocks and the three bears (mommy style). He fell asleep between the too-soft mama-bear chair and the broken baby-bear chair. Mr. fell asleep during the porridge portion.

Total bedtime, 1 1/2 hours of wrestling.

Total sleeptime: 7 hours.

Monster woke at 4:30. Mr tried to get him back to sleep. I went down about an hour later (Monster actually stole my covers and kicked me out of bed) to see if I could help, but Monster was up and forcing me to hold to my promise of the night before "First sleep then up the stairs". He did his portion-sleep, now I had to hold to mine-up the stairs. Mr went up so I could try and catch a few more hours of sleep (I had gotten to bed about 1:30 after playing in the garage some more), but I could hear Monster starting to tantrum again. Very picky about how everything was suppose to be. I couldn't sleep with that, so I sent Mr. down for sleep and stayed with Monster, who settled down with Mommy around. I was able to cat nap for a few hours while he alternated playing on the computer and on his bicycle (a doohicky that connects to the TV). He was chatty, informing me he was saving pumas, armidillos and the like, cute and charming.

Finally, time came to get him ready for school, albeit a wee bit behind schedule since I was dragging so badly. We got to school and he was still fairly riled up. His favorite computer was taken. Sigh, at least he wanted to stay which means Mr can get things done.

I've been trying to think of the cause of this behavior. My initial thought was I kept telling different people how well he was doing, so Murphy's law kicked in to knock me back. On the logical side, it could be the gluten we pulled from his diet working its way out. It could be he senses the anxiety and excitement Mr and I have about the move. We haven't told him much, just that we are going on an adventure and he would be going to a new school, but he knows something's up. It could be the new schedule at school-it's ESY now and it doesn't seem to be very structured. They have the schedules up but haven't populated them with the student's icons. Monster looked a bit baffled and then decided he gets to do what he wants (yikes! Poor teachers). It could be having his old behaviorist in the room, and having to share him. It could be because he woke up in a different room without mom or dad on Sunday night.

The list is endless. More complicated than my blurry brain can deal with today. Mr is also a bit concerned about school right now, but he has so much to do. Losing that 3 hours everyday would make it tough for him to get what needs done, done. So we are taking a wait and see approach. Monster is going to have to do without school for a considerable period as it is, while we move and settle in, I don't want him to miss even more now.

Damn you, Murphy!

No comments:

Post a Comment